Overthinking: Your new best friend


As those close to me will know, and those far from me will have gathered, I am an almighty over thinker, and ruddy proud of it too. 

I feel like the whole over thinking bug has received some rather bad press throughout it's existence, and I'm here to speak out for the poor lil guy. 

Over thinking has been branded as a negative, neurotic behaviour that gobbles up happiness, sleep and sanity from whomever it approaches. 

And whilst this may be true for those who feel it's wrath, I actually think, like many seemingly annoying things, it's simply misunderstood...

It can only take one negative thought to cloud the mind; it's not about the quantity. Whether you think 1 or 127 anxiety/anger-filled thoughts, you'll end up feeling pretty crumby at the end of it. 

Therefore, in order to find a balance, and frankly some peace and quiet, you've got to change the quality of your thoughts. 

The vast majority of people will have all witnessed first-hand the tiring effects that negatively overthinking will bring about, and how they can impact our decisions, choices and lives. 

So with this in mind, just imagine the power that overthinking positively can give you....

Now, I don't know about you... but personally, my mind is a constant whirr; it genuinely doesn't stop and I'm constantly in a conversation with myself about at least one thing or another. If I'm not careful these electric thoughts will spiral me into a fantastic existential crisis. 

This is all very well and good so long as you can afford to have the odd existential crisis or two... However, I can't, because I'd rather be doing slightly more productive things with my time. I've therefore had to train myself to clamber out of these semi-functional sticky messes before they start to directly block the path I'm trying to take. (Killer metaphor there....)

We're all wired completely differently and I've had to learn to live with and love my electricity; after all, it's what gives me my spark, and powers me through both the incredible curiosities and challenges of everyday life. (...Oh so many electricity puns it hurts)

In my honest opinion, I think overthinking is an incredible gift; it forces you to think deeper and analyse things so brilliantly that you see them in a way you never would have otherwise. 

Rather ironically, I have managed overthink the entire concept of overthinking, so much so, that it doesn't really sound like a word anymore. But that's okay. I'm cool with it all. It's been fun. 

Final word is: If you can't beat the overthoughts, join them, become their friend, watch movies together, order pizza; treat them like you'd want to be treated. 

They're only trying to help after all... 

Popular Posts