10 of my local hot spots for productive happenings



So I have this slight obsession with filling my free time doing productive stuff (I'm learning to embrace laziness, but that's another blog post for another day...)

This means that I spend a large amount of my life sitting in various bars and cafes on my own, which I have no problem with at all. In fact, with my glasses on, overflowing diary splayed across the table, and laptop whirring away, my body language screams, "I AM A STRONG INDEPENDENT WOMAN WHO TOTALLY HAS HER SHIT TOGETHER"... and even though we all know that's not the case, I'm glad I can at least look the part.

People often ask me where my favourite places to work are, so I thought I'd compile a little list of my favourite spots in the local area - all a maximum of 25 mins away from the centre of Maidenhead.

Disclaimer: Much like X Factor, this list is in no particular order at all.

1. Carluccios, Windsor 
Lovely little place - especially during the day. During the evening they whack the candles out and it feels a bit like a romantic date with yourself (not that I discourage these). It's always very clean/airy and the staff are lovely, and I love the chocolate foiled frogs (such a kid at heart). Also, it's open pretty late on weekdays so really handy to do some late night work in.
Parking: Free for advantage card holders after 7pm. Otherwise, standard Windsor car park charges.
Wifi: Good
Price: ££

2. The Compleat Angler, Marlow
Well firstly, this place is absolutely gorgeous, and the service is incredible. Honestly, I dropped a spoon on the floor once and before I could even think about picking it up, another one had appeared on my table. The staff are really friendly and will help you choose a table in the bar area. You definitely have to use the bathroom before you leave too for a bit of posh hand moisturiser.
Parking: Freeeeeeee
WiFi: Excellent
Price: £££

3. The Bear (Weatherspoons), Town Centre 
If you catch The Bear at the right time, it's actually a very pleasant place to do some work - so long as you bring your headphones. I tend to grab a coffee and head upstairs/to the table tucked round the corner/basically as far away from other humans as pos. The coffee is also so cheap here so you can have twice the amount you usually would (yay).
Parking: Either pay for town parking/can grab a space up the road for free during evenings
WiFi: Takes a while to start up, but fine once you're all connected.
Price: £

4. GoGos, Windsor
If you catch this place when it's not too busy, it's one of the most tranquil places to work. Inside, their bar area is gorgeous, with rustic tables and quirky features. But my favourite spot is on their mini terrace which overlooks the Marina (basically a floating car park, but for boats - which I didn't even know existed until I saw it! I just thought everyone had to parallel park their boats on the riverside...) It's so beautiful on  a summer's evening. Great coffee too, as well as lovely staff and just a really nice vibe in general - chilled but still buzzy.
Parking: Free on site
WiFi: Good
Price: ££

5. Costa/Starbucks/Cafe Nero/Pret
These chain coffee shops make great little workspaces - just be sure to bring your headphones as they tend to be rather noisy! My top 3 are:
Cookham Costa: One of my favourite Costa's ever. Looks tiny from the outside but is quite big! Lots of little corners to hide in. Free parking nearby.
-  Marlow Costa: Again, filled with lots of hidey holes. The upstairs is always so peaceful and I love getting a spot by the window so I can watch the world go by. Parking in Marlow is a pain though.
Taplow Costa: Always quite busy but lots of tables around. Free parking for 3 hours.
Wifi: Generally good - usually have to sign up/in
Price: £-££

6. Bills, Windsor/Marlow/Wherever
If you catch Bills at the right time, it's literally the most perfect place to work. I usually come here on a Sunday evening when the place is dead - as it's open until 10.30 - so this is usually where I wrap up my weekend and plan my week ahead. I also love the decor in all Bills, it's just so homely - that, alongside tasty coffee, lovely staff and a chilled, ambient playlist make it a great place to get done whatever needs doing.
Parking: Windsor = Free after 7 for advantage card holders. Marlow = park on road for 2 hours or car parks are pretty cheap.
WiFi: Good - have to ask for password usually.
Price: ££

7. Boulters, Maidenhead
Definitely one of the prettiest of the bunch. I head up to the bar upstairs and grab a table by the window overlooking the river, and it's just so pretty! This place is gorgeous in the Summer too, especially as you can sit outside on their little terrace. The coffee is really nice and I love how big the tables are as you can really spread yourself out, which makes you look extra hard working (bonus).
Parking: There's a few spaces outside the venue, but they're often full so you may have to use the public car park up the road, but it's really cheap.
WiFi: Excellent
Price: ££

8. Blue River Cafe, Maidenhead
Nice little spot by the river. Always lots of different types of tables/seating around - sometimes I like sitting up higher at a bar table and sometimes I go for the armchair option. Not a fan of their coffee personally but you are talking to the fussiest person  e v e r  so don't 100% take my word for it.
Parking: Free car park on site
WiFi: Takes a while to connect sometimes, but good when it's set up!
Price: £

9. Beaconsfield Services, Beaconsfield (obvs)
This is my little haven. As someone who is more productive at 2am rather than 2pm, I find myself here a lot. There is a 24 hour Starbucks, and if you make friends with the staff they'll let you sit upstairs even if they've closed it off. Weatherspoons also has a really nice part to work in, and actually Nandos is another of my favourite places to sit. I'm probably the only person to just order a coffee from Nandos but there we are! Headphones are a must as it's so busy. But yeah, I literally love this place <3 <3 <3
Parking: Free for 2 hours. They have a number plate recognition system, so I often drive out after 2 hours, go round the roundabout and drive back in again for another 2 hours (#sneakeh)
WiFi: Loads of options as each chain has their own, so plenty of choice!
Price: £

10. Dorney Court Kitchen Garden, Dorney
This is my little hidden treasure. Set in a garden centre, it's the cutest little place with rustic, farmhouse-esque decor and homegrown, organic values (my fave) - they use local resources and all that malarky. They have this little walled garden which is so adorable I can't even explain - so nice in the summer! Great coffee and uhmayzing millionaire's shortbread. Only downside is it's not open 24 hours!! It can get rather busy on the weekends so definitely bring headphones.
Parking: Free on-site
WiFi: Excellent (get the code off the blackboard on the wall)
Price: ££

Popular Posts